Sunday 8 November 2009

Composition

I've been considering composition in art. It would seem that there is usually an ordered arrangement beneath the surface of most paintings. It would also seem that humans prefer for that order to be obfuscated, hidden within seemingly accidental arrangements; there to be found if you know what you're looking for, and appreciated without conscious reason by those who don't.

I'm extrapolating that the same should be true of comedy. The set list, the rhythms, the composition of the performance. We appreciate it when the performer isn't obvious about there arrangement, we like that structure to be hidden and suggested.

Rarely do I think about that composition when I created a set. It was more a case of "oh shit, how can I segway from that joke to the next".

1 comment:

dt said...

How can I follow this irregular and infrequent work of obvious genius?